Transport and Communications Statistics for the 1st Quarter 2011


Information from the Statistics and Census Service indicated that the total number of licensed motor vehicles reached 197,800 at the end of March 2011, a year-on-year increase of 4%, of which 54% (106,823) were motorcycles and 39% (77,308) were light private cars. New registration of motor vehicles went up by 10% year-on-year to 4,332 in the first quarter of 2011, with motorcycles and light private cars accounting for 53% and 43% respectively. In the first quarter of 2011, number of traffic accidents rose by 8% year-on-year to 3,377 cases, resulting in 1,251 victims and 3 of them were killed. Cross-border vehicle traffic by land between Macao and Mainland China increased by 9% year-on-year to 978,108 vehicle trips in the first quarter of 2011, of which vehicle traffic through the Border Gate took up 82%. Commercial flight movements at the Macao International Airport decreased by 5% year-on-year to 8,545 in the first quarter of 2011. The major routes were Taiwan, China (34% of total); Mainland China (30%); Thailand (9%) and Malaysia (7%). Helicopter flights between Macao and Hong Kong (3,944) and between Macao and Mainland China (950) increased by 11% and 20% respectively. Passenger transport by sea between Macao and Hong Kong totalled 30,746 ferry trips in the first quarter of 2011, up by 9% year-on-year. Ferry trips between Macao and Mainland China totalled 5,925, down by 8% year-on-year. In the first quarter of 2011, seaborne container throughput totalled 23,161 TEU or 17,140 containers handled, up by 15% and 20% respectively year-on-year. Gross weight of seaborne containerized cargo decreased by 5% year-on-year to 38,382 tonnes, with 849 tonnes of transshipment goods. Gross weight of containerized cargo by land decreased by 6% to 9,282 tonnes, including 2,522 tonnes of transit goods. In the first quarter of 2011, outward air cargo (5,052 tonnes) and inward air cargo (2,492 tonnes) decreased significantly by 33% and 39% respectively; meanwhile, transit air cargo dropped by 40% year-on-year to 976 tonnes. At the end of March 2011, number of mobile telephone users rose by 17% from a year earlier to 1,231,912 whereas fixed-line telephone users decreased by 2% to 167,804. As regards internet services, number of subscribers reached 180,316 and the cumulative duration of usage totalled 118 million hours in the first quarter of 2011, up by 20% and 22% respectively.



Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve GOV.MO

* Mandatory field

Send

All information on this site is based on the official language of the Macao Special Administrative Region. The English version is the translation from the Chinese originals and is provided for reference only. If you find that some of the contents do not have an English version, please refer to the Traditional Chinese or Portuguese versions.