The Chief Executive, Mr Chui Sai On, today pledged the Government would enhance its effort to alleviate the impact of Typhoon Hato, so as to help people resume their normal lives as quickly as possible.
The strong Typhoon Hato hit Macao on 23 August causing eight people died and some 240 injured.
Mr Chui said he was fully confident – as was his cabinet and the Macao public – that the city would able to overcome the challenges created by the typhoon. He urged unity in order to ride out difficult times, and to ensure Macao became a better home for all.
Mr Chui made the remarks this evening during a press conference held at the Government Headquarters to give the public more information about the measures taken in response to the aftermath of Typhoon Hato. The press conference started with a one-minute silence in tribute to those who died in the storm.
The Chief Executive said he had accepted the resignation – due to personal reasons – filed today of the Director of the Meteorological and Geophysical Bureau, Mr Fong Soi Kun.
As a Macao resident, Mr Chui said he shared the same sense of grief and anxiety as the general public, having witnessed the destruction wrought by the typhoon, and the interruption to supply of power, water and mobile communication services.
Mr Chui spoke highly of the dedication of police officers and firefighters; for those treating people injured during the disaster; for those who provide needed emergency services during and after the event; and volunteers offering assistance to many people in the community facing various challenges. On behalf of the Government, Mr Chui expressed his utmost respect for their assistance.
He said he was saddened to learn that the disaster had caused eight people died and some 240 injured. Mr Chui, on behalf of the Government, expressed again his deepest condolences to the families of those people that died during the event and conveyed his profound sympathy for all people affected by the typhoon.
The Government would spare no effort in assisting people and businesses affected, said the Chief Executive, adding that the Macao Foundation and the Industrial and Commercial Development Fund would issue subsidy where appropriate to help them cope with the emergency.
Mr Chui expressed his apologies to the public for any shortcomings regarding the Government’s work in handling the event, but noted that nonetheless dedicated efforts had been taken regarding the forecasting for the typhoon – the strongest recorded storm in Macao for 53 years – and for preparations regarding its arrival.
During the press conference, Mr Chui stressed the Government was dedicating efforts at this stage on rescue work and relief measures, thus did not have an estimated economic losses caused by the typhoon.
In light of the events of the previous 36 hours, the Government would review its cross-departmental effort in response to emergencies – relating to the route for releasing meteorological information, warnings of disasters, and promotion of safety awareness – in order to optimise the city’s civil protection work, added Mr Chui.
The Chief Executive had directed measures – while the Typhoon Signal No. 8 remained in place – and worked in the Civil Protection Action Centre until Wednesday midnight in order to further the relief efforts in all areas across the city.