In line with the Macao SAR Government’s policy of giving “Priority to Conventions”, so as to attract a greater number of regional and international conventions to Macao, in a bid to promote the city´s exchanges with the other parts of the world and thus drive the growth and development of its different business sectors, Macao Trade and Investment Promotion Institute (IPIM) has launched the “Conference Ambassador” programme, and has invited six people, highly-respected in their respective fields, from Mainland China and abroad, to be Macao´s “Conference Ambassadors”, to jointly promote the development of the local MICE industry.
The “Conference Ambassador” Programme is a major programme launched by the Macao SAR Government, jointly with outstanding people from different fields, in a bid to boost the local MICE industry and support the development of the professional sectors, through the professional influence of the “Ambassadors”, in Mainland China or abroad, and with the co-operation of the related entities of Macao, to jointly promote the strengths of holding international conventions in Macao. The Macao SAR Government will co-operate with the “Ambassadors” in various ways, by combining efforts to attract a greater number of national and international conventions to Macao.
The following six people, from different sectors, namely medicine, construction, sport, information technology and chemistry, have been invited as “Conference Ambassadors”: Dr. Orlando Monteiro da Silva, former President of FDI World Dental Federation; Ms. Zhu Lilan, former Minister of Science and Technology of the People´s Republic of China; Mr. He Jingtang, Member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering; Mr. Li Ning, former athlete of the Chinese Gymnastics Team; Professor Tsui Lap-Chee, prestigious specialist in molecular genetics; and Professor Liu Chung Laung, a member of the Advisory Board of the Macao Science and Technology Development Fund.
Curricula vitae of the “Conference Ambassadors”:
- Dr. Orlando Monteiro da Silva is a dental specialist. He was formerly President of FDI World Dental Federation and President of the Council of European Dentists. He is at present President of the National Council of Professional Orders (CNOP) and is a strong supporter of the holding of the China-Portuguese-speaking Countries Dental Conference in Macao.
- Ms. Zhu Lilan is a well-known strategy scientist and chemist. She was formerly Minister of Science and Technology of the People´s Republic of China, a former Member of the Standing Committee of the National People´s Congress, former Chair of the Committee on Education, Sport, Science and Technology of the National People´s Congress. Ms. Zhu is presently serving as a Consultant to the Macao Science and Technology Commission and is also the President of Award Judging Committee of Macao Science and Technology Awards.
- Mr. He Jingtang, a well-known architect, is a Fellow of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and Director of the Faculty of Architecture and of the Institute of Research in Architecture and Design of South China University of Technology. Mr. He is a senior national chartered architect, having presided over the design of the China Pavilion at Expo 2010 (Shanghai World Expo) and the school buildings of the University of Macau´s new campus project.
- Mr. Li Ning is a famous entrepreneur and athlete, and a former national gymnast and Olympic champion. He has won fourteen world championships and over one hundred gold medals. After retirement, Mr. Li became a successful entrepreneur, having founded the well-known sports brand enterprise named after him.
- Professor Tsui Lap-Chee, is a prestigious specialist in molecular genetics, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, Fellow of the Royal Society - London, a Foreign Member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Doctor Honoris Causa conferred by the University of Macau, and Member of Award Judging Committee of Macao Science and Technology Awards. Professor Tsui was the leader of a team of Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong that first discovered the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the forms of transmission, having also developed a rapid serum test method.
- Professor Liu Chung Laung, is a well-known IT expert. He studied in Macao during his youth. Liu specialises in semiconductor, chip design and computers. He has taught at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the University of Illinois and has served as Associate Provost of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and President of National Tsing Hua University (Taiwan). Professor Liu is at present a member of the Advisory Committee of the Macao Science and Technology Development Fund and Member of Award Judging Committee of Macao Science and Technology Awards.View gallery