How to Apply
Deadline for Formalities
With respect to invention patent application, within 3 months after the publication of the announcement of the grant of patent right in the “Patent Gazette” of China National Intellectual Property Administration (CNIPA).
Formalities and Documents Required for Application
Apply in person:
- Within 3 months after the publication of the announcement of the grant of patent right in the “Patent Gazette” of CNIPA, the applicant should complete the “Application Form for Extension of Invention Patent from the China National Intellectual Property Administration” (Format ECO-091) in Chinese or Portuguese (the forms can be obtained at the service location or downloaded from DSE website)
- Application may be made on behalf of an individual or a body corporate. However, if the applicant (individual or body corporate) is not a Macao SAR resident or establishment, the form should be signed by an appointed agent;
- After signing the form, recognized signature can be made at the service location by showing the original identity document with signature.
- Submit the forms with the annexes to the Industrial Property Application Counter of Reception Center of the Macao Economic Bureau (2nd Floor).
- The relevant fees together with the payment slip should be submitted and paid at the Treasury of the Reception Center of the Macao Economic Bureau (2nd Floor) within 8 working days upon the application. The fees should be paid by cash, cheque or bank draft (payable to “Direcção dos Serviços de Economia”). The payment of fees up to MOP 1,000.00 (one thousand patacas) can also be made with UnionPay QuickPass card, Macau Pass card, or the digital wallet of Macau Pass (MPay).
- The completed “Application Form for Extension of Invention Patent from the China National Intellectual Property Administration” (Format ECO-091) can be obtained at the service location or downloaded from DSE website.
- “The Copy of Extracts from the Patent Register” issued by the CNIPA.
- “Patent Specification (Granted patent document)” issued by the CNIPA, including : Front page, Claim, Description and Descriptive Drawings (if appropriate).
Supplementary documents to be submitted as appropriate
- Descriptive drawings.
- When processed by an appointed agent:
- Power of attorney (must be duly authenticated, with recognition of the identity of the constituent and the exercise of the power of attorney), attached with fiscal stamp MOP 25.00 or above (depending on the number of pages of the power of attorney).
- For powers of attorneys not written in one of the official languages of the Macao SAR:
- Translation into one of the official languages of the Macao SAR (Chinese or Portuguese), duly authenticated/ certified;
- Translation certificate, attached with fiscal stamp MOP 15.00 or above (depending on the number of pages of translation).
- Other supporting documents (such as proof of change in bibliographic record).
Service Location and Hours
Apply in Person
Macao Economic Bureau (DSE) – Reception Center
Address: Rua do Dr. Pedro José Lobo, n.os 1-3，2/F, Macau
Monday to Thursday: 9:00 – 13:00; 14:30 – 17:45
Friday: 9:00 – 13:00; 14:30 – 17:30
- Application of extension (including annual fees of first three years) : MOP 800.00
- Annual fee of 4th to 5th annuities : MOP 500.00
- Annual fee of 6th to 20th annuities : MOP 800.00
- Declaration of forfeiture : MOP 1,000.00
- Rectification : MOP 100.00
- Extension of period : MOP 200.00
- Search : MOP 200.00
For more details, please visit the “Intellectual Property – Fees” page of the DSE website.
If the documents have been presented in order, and there is no ground for refusal, the extension will be granted in about 3 to 4 months.
Notes / Information for Applicants
If the application for extension of invention patent has been approved, the information including the relevant extension number, name of the right-holder and the ruling date, and so on, will be published on the first or third Wednesday of every month, in the Series II of Official Gazette of the Macao SAR.
- For the approval process, please visit the “Intellectual Property – Approval Flow” page of the DSE website.
In addition to the application for extension, the applicant must complete a separate “Application Form of Request for Other Actions” (Format ECO-052), for each of the above circumstances and submit together with relevant documents (please consult the Intellectual Property Department of the Macao Economic Bureau).
Reference documents and templates (available in Chinese or Portuguese only):
- Power of Attorney.
- Request for Other Actions – Description of Common Request Codes.
- For other documents, please visit the “Intellectual Property – Notes on Application” page of the DSE website.
Enquiry on Progress and Collection of Results
Enquiry on application progress: The status and the information of publication of “Extension of Invention Patent from the China National Intellectual Property Administration” can be found on DSE website.
Collection Method of Results: The registration certificate can be collected at the Industrial Property Application Counter of Reception Center of the Macao Economic Bureau (2nd Floor), upon the end of the one-month period for appeals counting from the date of publication of the approval of extension in the Official Gazette of the Macao SAR, or 5 working days after the court decision was acknowledged in the event of an appeal.
Document to be presented or submitted on collection of results: The original receipt of the payment of application fees issued by the Macao Economic Bureau.