How to Apply
Time of Application
Application procedures and documents required
The applicant should submit the following to the Medical Activity Licensing Unit:
- A licence application letter to the director of the Health Bureau;
- A Declaration of Absence of Conflicts which declares that the applicant does not pursue in any activity in conflict with the licence application;
- A copy of the applicant’s Macao SAR Resident Identity Card;
- A Certificate of Criminal Record (can be applied at the Identification Services Bureau (DSI), via self-service kiosks or the DSI website; the Certificate issued by DSI will be delivered to the Health Bureau);
- A Certificate of Physical and Mental Health (Macao Civil Servant Statute, Annex, Format 1; can be applied at health centre );
- Copies of relevant academic certificates, diplomas and transcripts (present the original for verification by the Health Bureau, if the certificate is not in Chinese, Portuguese or English, a translation issued by a legally recognized translation department should be submitted);
- A copy of the course description.
Note: For herbalists of traditional Chinese medicine, the Declaration of Recognition issued by the Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbalist Qualification Recognition Committee which operates under the Health Bureau is required.
Location of Application and Service Hours
Location of application: Medical Activity Licensing Unit, Health Bureau
Address: Alameda Dr. Carlos D’ Assumpção, Nos. 335-341, Edifício Centro Hotline, 6º andar, Macau
Mondays to Thursdays: 9:00am-1:00pm, 2:30pm-5:45pm
Fridays: 9:00am-1:00pm, 2:30pm-5:30pm
(Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays)
MOP1,100 (stamp duty included).
- 50% of the fees for licensing should be paid when submitting the application; and the rest should be paid within 15 days after the interested party has been notified of the approval of the Licence for Practising Healthcare Service under Private Regime.
- In case the application is refused or the procedure is terminated, no refund to the applicant will be made.
Application Processing Time
Generally, it takes 65 working days to process the application (depending on the case).
In case of the following situations, the processing time will be extended accordingly:
- The application of licence for TCM herbalist is reviewed respectively by the Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbalist Qualification Recognition Committee and the Technical Committee of Private Medical Activity Licensing; therefore, the processing time will be extended accordingly.
- If the qualification documents of the applicant need to be verified by authorities outside the Macao SAR, or when the facilities and equipment in the premise do not comply with the hygienic regulations, the above-mentioned processing time will be extended accordingly.
Remarks/Notes for Application
- The applicant should possess the statutory requirements of pursuing relevant profession or business;
- All documents will be scrutinized by the Technical Committee of Private Medical Activity Licencing;
- After being approved by the concerned Committee, the applicant should submit, within 60 days, the application form for clinic inspection, the layout plan of the clinic and list of facilities and equipment, medical advertisement application form, a sketch of advertisement/sign, and the written inspection report issued by the Real Estate Registry (premises registered with the Real Estate Registry are exempted from submitting this document) or the building utilization permit issued by the Land, Public Works and Transport Bureau;
- A field inspection will be carried out in the premise, and if it is in conformity with all hygienic requirements, the approval dispatch of relevant licence application will be published in the “Macao SAR Official Gazette” after the Deputy Director of the General Healthcare Sub-board has ordered the dispatch;
- Within 15 working days after the day of receiving the approval letter for practice, the applicant should submit to the Medical Activity Licensing Unit the following documents in order to provide proof of compliance with the stipulations prescribed in Article 36 of Law no. 5/2016 – “Legal Regime of Medical Malpractice” and Articles 3 and 4 of Administrative Regulation no. 5/2017 prior to the commencement of business:
5.1 For a self-employed applicant, a copy of the policy of Professional Civil Liability Mandatory Insurance of Health Service Provider;
5.2 For an employed applicant, the declaration certifying the purchase of Professional Civil Liability Mandatory Insurance has been completed by his/her employer.
Relevant Specifications or Requirements
Links to relevant information:
- Application Guideline for Installation of Medical Diagnostic X-ray Apparatus and List of Equipment with Radioactive Sources or Radiation Apparatus for Medical Use
- Requirements and Application Procedures for Magnetic Resonance Diagnosis System for Medical Use
- Regulations on sterilization of devices and materials used for invasive medical procedures in small private healthcare premises
- Sample of layout plan of facilities in the premise and memorandum of facilities and equipment
- Advertising regulations for local medical professionals or entities that provide healthcare services in the private system of Macao
- Regulations for the establishment of polyclinics and medical centres
- Normative guideline for private health units with operation theatre
- Important notes for private health units submitting self-made floor plan
Application Status Enquiry and Result Collection
Status enquiry: Please check the application status via the “Macao Government Service” mobile application (App) or the Macao SARG Portal (The applicant has to apply for an Online Account for Public Service in advance).
Collection of application result: In person.