Monetary and financial statistics – March 2020


According to statistics released today by the Monetary Authority of Macao, broad money supply continued to fall in March with a stable share of patacas. Meanwhile, resident deposits dropped from a month ago whereas loans to residents posted an increase.

Money supply

Currency in circulation and demand deposits fell 2.7% and 1.9% respectively. M1 thus decreased 2.1% from one month earlier. Meanwhile, quasi-monetary liabilities dropped 1.1%. The sum of these two items, i.e. M2, fell 1.2% to MOP679.3 billion. On an annual basis, M1 dropped 2.3% whereas M2 grew 2.6%. The shares of pataca (MOP), Hong Kong dollar (HKD), renminbi (RMB) and United States dollar (USD) in M2 were 31.8%, 46.1%, 7.3% and 12.8% respectively.

Deposits

Resident deposits went down by 1.2% from the preceding month to MOP661.4 billion whereas non-resident deposits rose 1.2% to MOP267.4 billion. Meanwhile, public sector deposits with the banking sector increased 0.7% to MOP256.4 billion. As a result, total deposits in the banking sector dropped 0.3% from a month earlier to MOP1,185.2 billion. The shares of MOP, HKD, RMB and USD in total deposits were 18.8%, 46.6%, 6.2% and 25.5% respectively.

Loans

Domestic loans to the private sector rose 1.5% from a month ago to MOP534.0 billion. Analysed by economic sector, “transport, warehouse and communications” and “wholesale and retail trade” increased at respective rates of 15.9% and 7.9% compared with a quarter ago, whereas “information technology” and “electricity, gas and water” dropped 21.6% and 4.6% respectively. Meanwhile, external loans grew 7.3% to MOP607.8 billion. As a result, total loans to the private sector went up by 4.5% from a month earlier to MOP1,141.8 billion. The shares of MOP, HKD, RMB and USD in total loans were 16.9%, 46.5%, 7.1% and 26.8% respectively.

Operating ratios

At end-March, the loan-to-deposit ratio for the resident sector rose from 56.9% at end-February to 58.2%. Meanwhile, the ratio for both the resident and non-resident sectors grew from 91.9% to 96.3%. The one-month and three-month current assets to liabilities ratios stood at 55.9% and 53.0% respectively. Concurrently, the non-performing loan ratio stabilised at 0.3%.



Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve GOV.MO

* Mandatory field

Send

All information on this site is based on the official language of the Macao Special Administrative Region. The English version is the translation from the Chinese originals and is provided for reference only. If you find that some of the contents do not have an English version, please refer to the Traditional Chinese or Portuguese versions.