How to Apply
Formalities and Documents Required for Application
Apply in person:
- The applicant should complete the “Application Form of Complementary Certificate for the Protection of Medicines and Phyto-pharmaceutical Products Registration” (Format ECO-058) in Chinese or Portuguese (the forms can be obtained at the service location or downloaded from DSE website)
- Application may be made on behalf of an individual or a body corporate. However, if the applicant (individual or body corporate) is not a Macao SAR resident or establishment, the form should be signed by an appointed agent;
- After signing the form, recognized signature can be made at the service location by showing the original identity document with signature.
- Submit the forms with the annexes to the Industrial Property Application Counter of Reception Center of the Macao Economic Bureau (2nd Floor).
- The relevant fees together with the payment slip should be submitted and paid at the Treasury of the Reception Center of the Macao Economic Bureau (2nd Floor) within 8 working days upon the application. The fees should be paid by cash, cheque or bank draft (payable to “Direcção dos Serviços de Economia”). The payment of fees up to MOP 1,000.00 (one thousand patacas) can also be made with UnionPay QuickPass card, Macau Pass card, or the digital wallet of Macau Pass (MPay).
- The completed “Application Form of Complementary Certificate for the Protection of Medicines and Phyto-pharmaceutical Products Registration” (Format ECO-058), which can be obtained at the service location or downloaded from DSE website;
- A copy of the first authorization to place the product on the market in Macao (which shall include the number and the date of the authorization as well as a summary of the characteristics of the product)
- The applicant may also present the original of the above documents, for the officer of Macao Economic Bureau to make copies and indicate on the copies to be identical to the original.
Supplementary documents to be submitted as appropriate
- When processed by an appointed agent:
- Power of attorney (must be duly authenticated, with recognition of the identity of the constituent and the exercise of the power of attorney), attached with fiscal stamp MOP 25.00 or above (depending on the number of pages of the power of attorney).
- For powers of attorneys or other documents not written in one of the official languages of the Macao SAR:
- Translation into one of the official languages of the Macao SAR (Chinese or Portuguese), duly authenticated/ certified;
- Translation certificate, attached with fiscal stamp MOP 15.00 or above (depending on the number of pages of translation).
Service Location and Hours
Apply in Person
Macao Economic Bureau (DSE) – Reception Center
Address: Rua do Dr. Pedro José Lobo, n.os 1-3，2/F, Macau
Monday to Thursday: 9:00 – 13:00; 14:30 – 17:45
Friday: 9:00 – 13:00; 14:30 – 17:30
Application for Complementary Certificate: MOP 1,500.00
If the documents have been presented in order, and there is no ground for refusal, the complementary certificate will be issued within 3 months.
Notes / Information for Applicants
Designations of origin and geographical indications shall be unlimited in duration.
- The duration of the complementary certificate may not exceed by more than 7 years of the term of the patent in respect of which is granted.
If the application is in order, the relevant notice of application will be published on the first or third Wednesday of every month, in the Series II of Official Gazette of the Macao SAR.
Reference documents and templates (available in Chinese or Portuguese only):
- Power of Attorney.
- Request for Other Actions – Description of Common Request Codes.
- For other documents, please visit the “Intellectual Property – Notes on Application”.
Enquiry on Progress and Collection of Results
Progress Enquiry: The status and the information of publication of “Complementary Certificate for the Protection of Medicines and Phyto-pharmaceutical Products” can be found on DSE website.
Collection Method of Results: The certificate can be collected at the Industrial Property Application Counter of Reception Center of the Macao Economic Bureau (2nd Floor), upon the end of the one-month period for appeals counting from the date of publication of the approval of extension in the Official Gazette of the Macao SAR, or 5 working days after the court decision was acknowledged in the event of an appeal.
Document to be presented or submitted on collection of results: The original receipt of the payment of application fees issued by the Macao Economic Bureau.